The National Union of Students (NUS) is the peak representative body for post-secondary students in Australia, representing over one million students in vocational, undergraduate and postgraduate education.
The NUS is funded by subscriptions from its member organisations, around 20 student unions on TAFE and University campuses around the country. These funds enable us to provide services and support to our members, co-ordinate state and national campaigns, and advocate on behalf of students and their associations at a state and federal level.
|Position Title||Media and Communications Officer|
|Reports To||NUS General Secretary|
|EFT||21 hours per week, (Flexible)|
|Remuneration||$34.31 per hour|
|Benefits||NUS Enterprise Agreement 2002|
|Position Status||Part Time, Contract (12 Months)|
|Authorised By||Param Mahal, General Secretary|
Working as part of a small and energetic team of professional staff and representatives, the Media and Communications Officer is responsible for identifying, developing and administering a range of promotional and commercial activities for the NUS. A key component within these responsibilities includes producing and distributing content for members and stakeholders via NUS’s multiple communication channels and platforms.
The Media and Communications Officer maintains responsibility for supporting all communication activities, including those undertaken by Student Representatives, volunteers and other groups associated with the Union, are well planned, effectively managed and comply with all NUS identified requirements.
The Media and Partnerships Officer is also required to contribute towards and deliver customer, administrative and other operational support services, as a member of the broader NUS team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Contribute to the effective operations of the NUS by:
- Work collaboratively and support key NUS Media and Communication activity, including e-newsletters, social media posts, service brochures, web content and articles, promotional posters, and so on
- Develop and assist in developing quality content for NUS media, communication and engagement activities, such as copy writing, editing, infographics, photography.
- Compile and maintain a journalist database for the NUS mailing list.
- Work with NUS staff, representatives and partners to ensure all NUS media and communication activities and publications:
- comprise content that is engaging, appropriate and accurate so as to successfully support the objectives of the Union (i.e. promotional, advisory, commercial or service-based)
- have clearly defined and agreed goals surrounding the intention, the audience, the reach and desired outcome of the media and communication activity
- are produced professionally, with access to all required resources, services or facilities, i.e. publishing programs, budget, support personnel
- are effectively reviewed and evaluated, during and at the conclusion of the activity, with ‘lessons-learned’ documented to inform and improve future activities
- Provide administrative support as needed.
- Provide support for NUS events and activities as required.
- Other duties as required by the General Secretary.
Key Selection Criteria
- Degree Qualification in an appropriate discipline alongside demonstrated experience in planning, developing and/or maintaining media and communication products.
- Experience working with Student Unions or related Not-for-profit organisations. (Preferable)
- Excellent administrative and written communication skills, including experience in producing public-facing documents, information or promotional materials.
- A commitment to and demonstrated experience working within ‘social values’ focussed organisation or environment, including the ability to manage sensitive information.
- Creative or analytical problem solving skills, including the ability to respond quickly and lead confidently within a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated self-drive and initiative, including the ability to work unsupervised.
- Established IT skills including Microsoft Office, email, social media and internet.
- Proven administrative skills including the ability to initiate improved administrative procedures and systems.
- Familiarity with journalist databases (Preferable)
How to Apply
- Please submit your application via email to email@example.com
- Please attach your cover letter (essential), resume (essential) and relevant qualifications (preferable) in the application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.